Mi prometido.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vulnerability: Not Just a Human Quality

I've been thinking for a while now about the various concepts we've discussed in class and which I'd like to discuss in my blog posts. Starting with our Techno-Literacy Memiors, the idea of the vulnerability of technology has become dominant in my thoughts concerning "Multi Media Media." At a very early age, (and as I've previously mentioned in my TLM) I was forced to face the reality of technological vulnerability when my brother proceeded to jump in the middle of my MagnaDoodle, ruining the erasing capabilities, thereby destroying the device. Although this memory seems humorous and innocent now, it got my brain wheels spinning on this topic of technology's susceptibilty to destruction.

Although it would be hard for most of us to imagine a world without cell phones, the countless playlists on our ipods, chatting with friends on instant messager or even the delights of twitter, (sarcasm intended) the possibility of losing these things remains just that: a possibility. Afterall, cell phones get dropped into toilet bowls, ipod screens crack, computers crash, and after a bit of time, people might not care about random and monotonous updates in others' lives.What if it all disappeared?

Case and point- after four years of college, complete with innumerable research papers, many tedious and wholly-time-consuming projects, lots of short stories and other creative pieces, I've managed to keep up with one USB mass storage device, which contains all the aforementioned creations. Imagine my horror, when, a few days ago, in the library, I reached up to disconnect the device for, I don't know, probably the millionth time, and it falls apart in my hands. Ahhh! Despite my inner yearning to stand up on the table top and scream, I held both my emotions and the two pieces of plastic together and hoped for the best. "Four years of work down the tubes?!?" I thought over and over again. I was sure that the device was ruined along with any credible work I'd ever authored. However, after a lot a praying and some strength of jamming the pieces together, I managed to fix the device, and thereby restore my sanity for the moment. Although I still have to take extreme caution when using the USB, it still works! I have developed a habit to go back and change any mistakes professors may point out on my research papers and other works on the electronic copies stored on the device, but from now on, I vow to print out the corrected versions of the works, and file them away for safe(r) keeping, so as to avoid this hair-whitening experience.

Anyone who's ever made a mistake on the computer and deleted an important file, or misplaced something in the net's version of File Thirteen, you may appreciate and adopt this future practice. Everyday, my awestruck idea of the advanced technology available at fingertip's length increases. Now, however, I am aware of the sensitivity and vulnerability of these technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment